Sauvie Island is a fifteen-mile-long, four-and-a-half-mile wide piece of quiet solitude just outside the Portland city limits. During the summer months, the natural landscape on Sauvie Island is one of wavy, wind-blown trees and lush greens dotted with color from the local flower farms. Much of the island is dedicated farmland heavily planted with corn, squashes, beans, peaches, pickling cucumbers, and berries. Sauvie Island’s proximity to the city creates a high demand for these products from city dwellers craving that “homegrown” flavor.”
-Excerpted from “Wildwood:Cooking from the Source in the Pacific Northwest,” Cory Schreiber, Ten Speed Press
Howell Park is 120 acres of land, owned and operated by Metro. The grounds include the Bybee-Howell House, a pioneer farm house built in 1856, and the Pioneer Orchard, an extensive collection of fruit varieties grown by Sauvie Island settlers. The two-story frame residence was built for James Bybee, who later became one of Multnomah County’s first Commissioners. Bybee sold the house in 1858 to Dr. Benjamin Howell and his wife, Elizabeth. The house remained in the Howell family until 1961.