Do you enjoy gardening and interacting with children? If so, consider volunteering with the Sauvie Island Center. Volunteers lead small groups of elementary school students through hands-on, farm-based lessons on pollination, healthy soil, plant parts, the food web and planting and harvesting in the Grow Lunch Garden.
We strive to provide quality, experiential learning opportunities for students and are seeking energetic and flexible field trip leaders to help us accomplish this goal.
Each volunteer day is from 8:45 am to 2:00 pm on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays beginning April 11th and running through June 11th. We ask that volunteers be available for at least (3) three field trips each season (spring and/or fall). If you’re interested, download the form below and contact Education Program Manager Jennifer James. Each volunteer will need to pass a background check.
We’ll host refresher training, for returning volunteers only, on Thursday, April 4th from 9 am to noon.
- Commitment: Field trip leaders are asked to commit to at least 4 field trips during the season.
- Trips: Spring and Fall field trips take place on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 8:45 am to 2:00 pm
- Returning Volunteer Training: 9 am to noon on Thursday, April 4th.
- New Volunteer Training: 8:45 am to 3 pm on Friday, April 5th.
- 2012 Volunteer Application Form
- Background Check Form
Questions? Call Sauvie Island Center 503-341-8627.