Volunteer Farm Educators
Are you passionate about gardening, nature or working outdoors with children? If so, consider becoming a Volunteer Farm Educator. Volunteers lead small groups of elementary school students through interactive, hands-on, farm-based lessons on plant life cycles, soil science, pollination and more. A trip to Sauvie Island Center is a rich and unique opportunity for Portland youth to visit and explore the Sauvie Island Organics Farm and the grounds of Howell Territorial Park, managed by Metro. Volunteer Farm Educators are essential to the success of our program!
As a Sauvie Island Center volunteer you will:
- Gain experience in farm-based education, interpretation and gardening.
- Spend your days outside on beautiful Sauvie Island.
- Become a part of a dynamic and energetic team of educators.
- Taste fresh produce from Sauvie Island Organics farm.
- Plant the seeds of knowledge and stewardship in local youth.
2017 Volunteer Farm Educator Information:
- Friday, April 7th: Volunteer Farm Educator training will be held onsite at Howell Territorial Park. Alternate training can be organized on an individual basis. To apply, please complete the short volunteer application.
- Spring 2017 field trips begin Monday, April 10th and run through Wednesday, June 21st. Each trip is approximately a 5-hour volunteer day from 9:00 am – 2:00 pm. Our trained educators are asked to commit to leading a minimum of five (5) field trips during the season.
For more information, contact Sarah Philips, Education Program Manager at 503-341-8627 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer at a Work Party
Help us set up for the coming season! Grab some friends or co-workers and spend a few hours on the beautiful Sauvie Island Organics farm. You’ll be helping us prepare the Grow Lunch Garden (a row planted, tended and harvested by visiting kids) for the next batch of visiting school children. Contact Jules, Program Coordinator, (email).
Volunteer at Events
Help us pull off that next great event! We need everything from administrative support to food and drink handlers. Contact Joanne, Communications and Development Manager, at email@example.com.